14 August 2020

FZ1 Mod: New Handlebars, Again.

14 August 2020

I finally installed the new handlebars I got last year during the annual 11.11 sale they they have on Aliexpress.com.  It took so long because in my excitement of finding a reasonably priced bar, I forgot all about making sure it had threaded ends.  Oops!

New bar on top, old Gen2 FZ1 bar on the bottom.

About the time it arrived, I got a lateral promotion that meant I should be traveling more.  We put everything in storage and I didn't get back to thinking about changing out the bar until I was getting ready to go to the Spring Rally.  I knew I had to solve the no threaded issue but had yet to find a decent solution given my more mobile status.

It didn't matter that I was not as mobile because the person that wanted me moving around our district got fired and I was now in a store I really didn't want to be in long term.  My household is still not stable, either way I pulled Baby outta storage and proceeded to get ready for the rally.  That meant new tires at a minimum.  I figured I'd do the bar then but still didn't know how I'd do that.

Right before we left, I found a solution on the FZ1OA forum that I should have looked for right after I realized I needed to thread the bar.  When we got back, I got to work.  

Step one:  I had to get 2 3/8 in brass pipe caps and JB Weld.  The caps have the correct threads to fit the Throttlemeister bar ends and can be made to fit inside the bar.

Step two:  Get a grinder and the appropriate wheels to grind the outside of the caps to fit inside the handlebar.  Buy new grips and grip heaters to replace the stuff that needed replacing a while ago.

Step three:  Make the caps fit.


Once that's done, you use the JB Weld to affix the caps inside the handlebar.  I used the bar ends to make sure I had the right depth.

Once it was all cured, I could install it on the bike.  I finally did that today.

I was undecided about painting the Gen2 risers that I've had forever now but in the end, I left them stock.

I may use the black tops from the Gen1 risers because it leaves the space between the risers free but for now, it's the Gen2 riser top.  I still have to do the fiddly stuff to make sure it's back to comfortable but this is how he sits right now.  The Gen2 risers are a little higher so just sitting on the bike, I can't tell the new bar is straighter.  The seller that had that bar has one with a little more bend and since it's so cheap, if this one is too straight, I'll get the other.  Thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon so no test ride to work.  

Only thing left is to put the new grip heaters on and use grip glue but I'm saving that for a day when I have a little more time and motivation because I have to rewire the grip heaters.


Thanks for reading,

patrice, theWolfTamer

Not sure how I like the black top so Gen2 Bridge top for now.


1 comment:

Search This Blog

FeedCount