02 June 2022

DIY Heated Gear: The Jacket version 4?

2 Jun 2022

I'll admit I'm a little obsessed.  I'm pretty sure by now I could have just purchased a commercial product and been done with it.  I think a few years ago, I attempted to do it but the one I could afford was never in stock when I had the money to get it.  This is jacket version 4.

I keep seeing the heating pads on Aliexpress, Amazon, and eBay for a pretty good price.  I think I paid less than $20 for some at the beginning of last year after having to ride during the polar vortex with temps in the teens because Aamco can't fix a transmission for good.

One night as I thawed out, I bought 8-in-1 12V Washable USB Electric Heating Pad 3 Gear Adjustable DIY Thermal Clothing Outdoor Heated Jacket Vest Mobile Warm Gear.  I wanted one that said it was for a 12v system because I won't be using it with a battery pack.

Initially, I planned to use the fleece jacket I can get from work but even the small was a little bigger than I wanted.  I was looking for something that fit snuggly so the heated pads would be as close to my body as possible.  One of my customers gave me a fleece jacket that fit the bill so all I had to do was wash it and get to sewing.

As I'm typing this, I realize how terrible this laptop is.  Every time my palm hits the mouse pad, it moves the icon and I end up typing in the middle of something I've already typed or the whole paragraph gets deleted.  I've had this a few years and don't use it much, now I know why!

Anyway, I laid out the pads where I thought I wanted the heat:  on my chest and between my shoulders.  Over the course of a few days, I sewed them in place.

I started with a sewing kit from Dollar Tree


After I broke all the needles in that kit, I got a better one from Walmart

Sewing was faster after that.

I sewed the push button controller on the right side.  I have a feeling I'll regret that and will be relocating it after a couple of uses.

I did this hoping I'd get to try it during the winter but I still had bald tires.  With my truck's transmission out of action again, I had to buy another cheap car until I can afford to get the car I want.  That meant tire money was going to reliable transportation that I could use no matter the weather conditions.

I finally got tires.  A lot later than I hoped but as TheMomma used to say "everything is in divine order", so I guess I got them when I really needed them.

I'll update this once the weather gets to where I can actually try the jacket but I don't see a reason why it won't work.  If anything, I'll end up replacing the controller that comes with the pads but for about $25 shipped, the price of a good sewing kit, and a jacket it still is cheaper than than cheapest heated jacket available now.

Thanks for reading,

patrice, theWolfTamer

Finally got tires, stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

FeedCount