29 September 2011

Trip Report: There and Back Camping

9 Sep 2011
Turning a ride into a Camping Trip

I'd planned this trip before TheMomma died.  It's still hard to think or even type those words some 39 days after it happened.  Anyway, I decided I would go ahead with the trip because I am still alive and that's what she'd want me to do.  I knew that's what I was going to do but the days leading up to the trip I wasn't doing anything to get ready for it.

In fact, I procrastinated until the night before when I decided I needed to fix the hard seat I'd tried to soften before.  I used the firm foam Cruzman gave me the last time I was at his house and trimmed the OEM foam, this time more conservatively than I had on the seat with the case mounted to it.
After I got it all smoothed out, I put the memory foam on it.  I must humbly admit it was 10x more comfortable!

Cruzman and I decided we'd leave on Friday after he got done with work rather than leaving Saturday morning as we'd planned.  This way we'd get a full day of riding with unloaded bikes.

Procrastinating meant that I couldn't find my air mattress and pump!  My niece used them the night after Mom's Memorial service and I couldn't remember if I'd told her to toss the air mattress or what.  She'd pulled something out of the plug area and I wasn't sure it would hold air when I told her that.  The pump won't hold a charge but the 12v plug still works.  I just couldn't find it.  I finally gave up and left about an hour later than I should have to meet Cruzman in Cumming, still needing to stop to get a new air mattress and pump.

After getting there about an hour or more late, we decided to go to the WalMart across the street so we could get it out of the way.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the air mattress or pump I wanted so we headed up GA-400 with the plan to take it to Dahlonega until we saw the traffic!

Luckily Cruzman knew the area and we were able to get off of 400 and work our way over to Hwy 9 and take that into Dahlonega.  It didn't take as long as I thought before we were in the city limits then WalMart's doorstep.  After about half an hour, we left with what we (I) needed and took 129 all the way into Robbinsville where we arrived in time to eat dinner at Lynn's Place.

We got to the camp ground around 9 and hurried to set up because the spot we reserved was right next to a camper that appeared to have everyone inside sleeping.  We were trying to be quiet but apparently not quiet enough for our neighbors!  I guess airing up air mattresses at 9:30 p.m. wasn't their idea of quiet.

I tried to resist the urge to open and close all of my zippers as loudly and as many times as I could but I must admit I didn't.  Either way, we turned in rather early looking forward to a full day's ride!

Thanks for reading,
patrice, theWolfTamer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog