13 March 2010

FZ1 Mod Update: Seat Mounted Top Case

The top case has been ordered and is on its way.  Instead of going with a top case/trunk from Ebay, I chose to order one from Sears.  Yes, Sears.  I didn't know they had motorcycle accessories until earlier in the week when I saw a couple of posts on a forum.  I decided on a medium matte black travel trunk.  It appears to be the same case that JCWhitney offers but it was on sale for $32.49 - 10% because it is an automotive product.  That is about $42 delivered.

After deciding on the case, I took some preliminary measurements to see if I needed to go to the extent of cutting up the rear seat foam and building a full mounting platform like the Ninette guy.  On the Gen 1 FZ1, the passenger grab rails do not extend above the seat.  The mount plate for the travel trunk is 1" high, that should be high enough to clear the rails once the case is mounted.


The next step was to dis-assemble the seat.  In an hour, I went from this:


To this:

The passenger portion of the seat is about 11.25" long and 9" wide.  I plan to use the two holes that are already in the seat pan then add two more near the rear.  Instead of building a platform, I will try to cut out a section of the passenger seat foam big enough to place the wooden blocks in that I will mount to the seat pan.  This way I hope I will be able to re-use the seat cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

FeedCount